Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to pull away for a day and do what is called a SWAP Meet at Cacapon State Park. It was an amazing day sincerely Surrendering anew to Jesus, Waiting on Him in prayer and the reading of His Word, and Acknowledging areas I had fallen short with Him, so that I can follow the Promptings of the Holy Spirit and do the work He has called me to here, there and everywhere. (A great read on all of this can be found in Steve Smith’s book, Spirit Walk. If you have never done something like this, I highly recommend it.)
One of the takeaways from this time are some specific things I must be doing if I am to help lead others to impact this world with the gospel and see His Kingdom advance. They all come from 1 Timothy and can be summarized in this way:
- Strongly engage in battle (like a warrior, fight to win) – 1 Tim 1:18
- Train in godliness (self and others) – 1 Tim 4:7b
- Guard what has been entrusted to me (keep sacred, holy, pure His Word/His Ways) – 1 Tim 6:20
I’ve been praying and thinking about this a lot since then. And from what I can discern from my prayerful contemplation, I must make a needed shift in how I approach the tasks at hand.
I write these things down in this Blog to help me articulate and navigate some next steps in this journey. See if any of these relate to where you are, too.
- Recognize this is WAR! I am His soldier, actively battling to liberate the souls of men and women all over the world. There is no time to sit and passively watch this war devour and destroy so many. Like the brave men and women who heroically stormed the beaches of Normandy and advanced against the German hold on the world until it was crushed in WWII, I must actively take the beachheads of this world with the gospel of Jesus Christ. To not do so means I am willing to see billions perish without hope. This is unacceptable!
- Train in GODLINESS, not worldly tactics. Despite the many advantages to modern warfare, this present war requires a tried and true preparation and practice – complete trust and obedience to God’s Word and God’s Spirit. Only adherence to these lead us to victory over this diabolical enemy. As such, my daily trainings must be more focused than ever on what God says about my real purpose in life as recorded in His Word and through the power of His Spirit.
- The only way any of this can be done for the long haul is by GUARDING THE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN ENTRUSTED TO ME: grace, mercy, hope, faith, love, etc. As I guard, hold onto, cherish what is sacred and holy – King Jesus’ character and nature, His plans and purposes, His will for the Nations – I will see the Kingdom of God advance and the liberation of the masses. This is why He still has me here on this earth – to guard and pass on all that He is to others!
Needless to say, it was an incredible time with my Lord, and will be life-changing for me and others as I “SWAP” my way of doing things for HIS WAY!
Interested in joining me in these efforts? Let’s talk, pray, and lock arms together, until there is NO PLACE LEFT WITHOUT THE GOSPEL.